Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I Am a Liability

Yesterday was an interesting day.

The Doctor's Office

For those who don't know, this summer I seem to have developed a small, insignificant fainting problem that my family of doctors has [no disrespect.. I love y'all] COMPLETELY freaked out about. Okay so I understand that fainting is not a normal part of most people's week, but I hate spending so much time getting tests done [especially since they haven't found anything wrong and it's probably just Vasovagal syncope--which is harmless].

Fast forward to yesterday...

I went to yet another doctor for a stress test, and was told that I was not allowed to eat or drink for 12 hours prior to the appointment. So, there I was starving and dehydrated, and about to get on a treadmill when I was told that I was misinformed. I only had to fast for 4 hours and water was fair game. [ughh].

Well, I was hoping that the stress test was going to be long enough to count for yesterday's workout. It wasn't. I lasted 10 minutes before I decided if I moved another inch I would die [which was really awkward considering I had just told the doctor I was training for a half marathon].

After getting dresses and shoving a builder's bar down my throat, the doctor comes in to speak with me. As I had predicted, there was nothing abnormal on the test. However, she [like everyone else] was very worried about how much I have been fainting, and recommended that I don't run outside by myself. HA. Not going to happen. But thanks.

My Afternoon Run

A pretty accurate depiction of yesterday's run
Once I got home, I figured that since I was already in my workout clothes I would venture out for the day's run. I scarfed down an orange and headed out. Now, I had never run on the streets of New York before, but I figured that it would be fine because of my MapMyRun app [if you don't have it, get it]. I weaved in and out of angry New Yorkers like a champ, and before I knew it 1 mile had passed [and I did it at a record speed for me]. 

Well, I should say that I only moved in to a new apartment 3 months ago and hadn't yet had time to explore the area. Considering the West Village was originally designed to make it difficult to navigate, I probably should have mapped out a route--I was feeling very ambitious. 

Before the MapMyRun voice told me I had hit two miles, I was starting to feel sick. Not good. It was as if my body was angry and was telling me to fuck off, but I powered through and finally hit the 2 miles I had wanted.

The only problem is that I was still about half a mile from home, hungry, thirsty, and fatigued [I will attribute that to the fact that I had almost nothing to eat or drink prior to the run--not that I am an out of shape fool]. Instead of walking home like a normal person would, I decided to do a weird "walk, jog, shuffle, die" sequence. It sucked. Maybe I am a liability--thanks doc. 

Things to remember before my next run:
  • Don't do it after a stress test
  • EAT
  • Bring money for a cab ride home when since you will most definitely get lost

STATS

          Distance: 2.43 Miles
          Time: 22:30
          Avg. Pace: 9:15 (min/mile)

[Dont' ask me how I did this run so much faster than others, I couldn't tell you--I should probably learn how to pace myself when I'm not on a treadmill]

No comments:

Post a Comment